Monday, October 15, 2012

Richard Avedon portraits








The photos in this set are using a concept of the great photographer, Richard Avedon. Using his concepts of not only shooting up close, but also black&white with a white background to capture his subjects and make them the true centre of his masterpieces. Unlike other photographers, Avedon captures the vulnerability of his subjects by creating a scene with no distractions. He also asks questions to make the subject think, capturing that. For this assignment I tried to do the same thing. I used a black&white background and tried to ask as many questions without crossing the boundaries he was known for crossing.  

9 comments:

  1. I think some of the shots seem to show some "forced" emotions. Overall, I think the set is good, but sometimes it appears as if she's too involved with the camera and trying to have an expression on her face, as opposed to letting her true emotions show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not think those pictures look very emotionally connecting. It looks like she was forcing the faces. But they're not too bad. Keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice photos! I in particular appreciate how you incorporated happy and effortless expressions which were not displayed in many other photos of this particular assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These pictures are nice. I think 3 and 5 have the most candid emotion, but the others seem a bit staged. Maybe try to capture more moments where shes not posing for the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great first draft of portraits using the same style and techniques that Richard Avedon used in his film. I really like how every image presents a different facial expression through subtle movements.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Series. I think that this is a great first draft and you did a very good job of exploring your models emotions. I think that if we where to take a second series you could explore trying to make your model as comfortable as possible to make sure that no photos are posed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a good job with the background; it was plan and helped really focus on the subject. I would warn against the more forced emotions in some of these shots. Try and get a slightly more natural look.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some of these photos seem a bit forced. I think you and I both could have done a better job of geting more comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. great photo set. I like how you used just one model so we get a deeper view and different emotions, allowing the viewer to see more than just one side of the model.

    ReplyDelete